Sunday, December 29, 2013

Fiona's Birth Story

Our week started with great excitement, Fiona, was showing signs of near kidding. I had a neighbor check on her during the day while we were gone. Christmas day night I went out to feed around 11:30pm, and as usually I sat and watched for awhile.  She was showing signs that labor was close: her ligaments were gone, she was up and down, her udders were full, and she was licking me.  After a few minutes I figured it would be within 12 hours later than sooner since she wasn't streaming her amber goo, and got up to leave. I hadn't even made it to the door before she laid down and started pushing.  I grabbed the blowdryer and some towels.  I had to assist with the first one since her legs were in the wrong position.  I pulled her and started to suction and dry pulled the second one out once she was 1/2 and cleaned suctioned and ran to the house.
I burst through the front door trying to be quiet because all I would need is fore Eli to wake up during this. As I kick open our bedroom door poor sleeping Brian bolts from the bed, and is standing there in a daze, while I yell for him to hurry and get towels.  At this point I"m kneeling on the bedroom floor unwrapping the kids, at this point it dawns on him what is happening and he springs into action.
 The girls were premies, very early, and in the end to early.  At one point I even tried mouth to mouth but it was usuless. After a minute, and making sure Brian had a handle on things.  I bolted back to the barn to make sure their was no more kids. Finding Fiona in a daze, eating, I bounced her a few times to confirm she was done, being fairly confidant she was it was back up the hill to the house again. Brian at this point, was still working on the bigger girl. After about 10 minutes it was apparent they were not going to make it.
  Fiona, is doing good though her placenta detached and was out after 15 hours. Her milk is really coming in. I have the colostrum frozen in the off chance we need it for another one. (*side note breast milk bags are great for freezing milk in..anyone have extras send them my way!).
  Since this was her first time kidding she has no idea what happened and thinks I"m her kid. I get a bath now every time I go down there.  She's pretty easy to milk doesn't go all crazy on me like buttercup does. she would have made a great mom.  To her dismay she's in with the other pregos for a month or so, I don't want her to be around our Buck Deputy Dangle in case she's fertile.

1 comment:

  1. Awww. . . sorry to hear about the kids. You are certainly living an adventurous life and I look forward to reading your blog!!

    ReplyDelete