Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Rosie's birth story

Last week I went to check on Miss Rosie around 11pm Wednesday night. I could tell something was off her poor feet were even more wobbly than normal.  I checked with a goat friend and we decided she was in labor.  Around 2am the temperature had dropped and was hovering around 0.  I was cold and so was Rosie, We moved to a warmer place. At 3 something wasn't right I spoke with my friend again and she thought a kid maybe was stuck so I gloved up and went in.  Finding that her cervix was not dilating, she was a fingertip.  Poor girl I manually stretched the cervix on and off till 7:30.  Nothing! I called the vet around 8, and her first owner, Jackie.  Jackie came over to try and help. She took one feel and said get her to a vet.  I loaded Rosie in the back of my truck and rushed her to the vet.  He was able to stretch her open and get a buckling out but he presented wrong and as he was coming out Rosie's cervix ripped! She was rushed back for a c-section. The buckling's twin was born alive but I don't think the techs knew what they were doing :-( they were swinging him around instead of just holding him upside down and sucking his airway.  The third little doe was a stillborn. (she was sooooo pretty too, just like a mini Rosie!).  Rosie was touch and go for awhile but they were able to stabilize her.  I took the buckling home with me where we bottle fed him a few times till I received a phone call around 4pm, " can you please come get your goat she's up and trying to eat everything in the surgical room!" Best call I could have got.  Rosie since then has continued to recover and is doing well.  I don't believe we will be rebreeding her, the little guy is doing great and was just de-budded this morning and is doing great we named him Billy the Kid.(eye-roll I know)

No comments:

Post a Comment