Wednesday, January 16, 2013

fast catch up

So it's been awhile since I've been on here.  Life is still crazy there was a balancing act that was hard to figure out!  We took the girls down to once a day milking in september, and that seemed to help me balance family and animals. Since then we've had a sick billy, I got to give my first shot to a goat.  He's much better now.
   As for the girls, I think their expecting.  I didn't think that they were at first but now after reading more about the breeding processes I'm 99% sure Rosie is at the very least.
  Early fall I was grossed out that Billy would stick his face in the girls urine stream, come to find out that's a sign mating is near. GROSS!
  Brian and I have also had may discussions on where we want to go with the goats.  After talking with my grandpa, (and really really really not wanting to take his advice) we're going to be selling billy and artificially inseminating from now on. (still not sure who will actually do it, crossing my fingers it will be Brian!)
   As for the babies, We'll be selling the males for meat and keeping the girls. (Time to start spreading the word, send goat eaters my why!).  We've done some research and it's pretty apparent Minnesota has a high population of ethnic groups that like the meat.
  I keep saying it will be a few years before I can eat one, we'll have to get away from the pet mentality.  ALthough if one pisses me off enough who knows.
  We're down to 9 chickens, luckily the dogs are not the cause of them dying.  They seemed to have some illness.  I switched their feed to a medicated one for a few months and that has seemed to do the trick.  We were just talking about how many chicks we are going to order this spring.  THe kids are excited Micah remembered that they start off in boxes in the kitchen!
  Thats a fast catch up and I hope to be a lot better in the future. I'm off to see why the dogs have been barking for 30 minutes.
******* Anyone out there with any suggestions for birthing send it my way.  I'm starting to make a list of supplies.  I'll have to get them soon too because if they are the kidding should be in a few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment